Publ: Development Blog

Entries tagged import, templates or feed-on-feeds

Publ v0.5.5 released

Posted Monday, September 23 at 5:51 PM (5 months ago)

Howdy y'all! Here’s a new release of Publ for you.

What’s new in this version:

  • Add the ability to filter by multiple categories, and also to filter out categories as well
  • Various code cleanups, especially around the query generator

Also the unannounced v0.5.4 release was to fix some stuff that broke due to an upstream Arrow change (specifically dealing with them removing an API that I was using to suppress warnings for a different upstream change that I’d already handled).

I should also mention that I’ve updated the beesbuzz.biz template samples to improve IndieWeb and ActivityPub compatibility. (Publ still doesn’t support ActivityPub itself but these changes make it interoperate with Bridgy Fed a bit better.)

On a meta note, I’ve left the microbiology lab I was at; I hope they continue to use Publ, of course! Over the next little while I’m going to spend some more time working on my own things again (including Publ et al), but I’ve also had some interesting job interviews with one of them seeming very likely to turn into an offer. Wish me luck, if you’re into that sort of thing! (And of course, follow my blog for the primary source of this stuff.)

An early-alpha Movable Type importer

Posted Wednesday, February 20 at 3:42 PM (a year ago)

For those folks who want to import their content from Movable Type over to Publ, I’ve finally gotten around to writing an importer. Currently it only attempts to convert entry content and category metadata, and only using SQLite-formatted database dumps.

See its README.md for the (incredibly rough) usage instructions.

Eventually I want to try to automatically convert templates from MT’s scripting language to Jinja-Publ templates, although there’s a bunch of stuff that’s going to be difficult to port across and a lot of stuff is just plain not feasible to even try, so don’t expect that to become a major thing any time soon.

Pushl v0.1.3, and a FeedOnFeeds update!

Posted Wednesday, November 28 at 1:18 AM (a year ago)

I just released Pushl v0.1.3, which adds some minor performance optimizations and a bug fix.

Originally I was hoping to have a major performance optimization, in the form of having rewritten Pushl from thread-per-connection to async operation, but unfortunately I ran into a bunch of problems with it. Mostly that I was running into a “too many open files” error and I couldn’t figure out what was causing a descriptor leak. I have the work-in-progress branch online if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Anyway, the reason I went down this route is because I added WebSub subscriber support to my fork of Feed-On-Feeds, which makes it so that WebSub-enabled RSS and Atom feeds will push their updates to your reader instead of having to wait for a polling interval.

You can read more about some of my other thoughts on a blog entry that quickly devolves into a rant, if you’re so inclined.