Posted Tuesday, February 4 at 5:40 PM (2 weeks ago)
Today I released v0.5.14 of Publ, which has a bunch of improvements:
- Fixed a bug in card retrieval when there’s no summary
- Admin panel works again
- Markdown entry headings now get individual permalinks (the presentation of which can be templated)
- Markdown entry headings can be extracted into an outline to be used for a table of contents
- Lots of performance improvements around ToC and footnote extraction, and template API functions in general
Posted Friday, October 25 at 5:36 PM (4 months ago)
Since adding user authentication to Publ, I’ve been thinking of ways of allowing people to subscribe to sites from feed readers while getting their own native authorization, so that people can see entries directly in their readers rather than needing the clumsy mechanisms of unauthorized placeholder entries.
Out of the box, Publ authentication does support a shared cookie jar; if you can provide your cookies to your feed reader in some way, then things will Just Work. Unfortunately, I don’t know of any feed readers that actually support this, at least not easily. (Back when most browsers had a feed reader built-in this was a lot simpler. But time marches on.)
The two mechanisms which seemed most promising are AutoAuth and “magic links,” where users get signed URLs that come pre-authenticated and show the full authorized content for that user. AutoAuth is still in a draft phase that’s stuck in a chicken-and-egg situation (and also requires a lot of buy-in to IndieWeb protocols, which is still a pill too large to swallow for most of the folks who follow my blog), so magic feed links seemed like the best path forward.
I even got so far as to draft out an implementation, but there’s a few bad issues with it which just made me opt not to.
Posted Monday, August 19 at 1:49 AM (6 months ago)
I’ve released Authl v0.2.0. Changes since v0.1.8:
- Added support for Twitter
- Big ol' refactor to support Twitter (see the fuller discussion below the cut!)
- Released to beta!
And changes from v0.1.7 to v0.1.8 (which I didn’t bother to post an announcement about):
- Fixed an incredibly minor security issue in the Mastodon client (the
client_secret was leaking but in the context of Mastodon that couldn’t really be used for anything anyway)
- Centralize/refactor the login token management, allowing for future flexibility in the service stack
- Make callback IDs protocol-stable, which helps with some stricter services (e.g. Twitter)
Posted Monday, July 8 at 11:56 AM (7 months ago)
I’ve released Authl 0.1.1, which adds support for Mastodon authentication. And the Publ test suite now is up-to-date with that as well.
There’s a few things I want to do on Publ before I release a version for use on my own website, the big one being the ability to provide a better login page, and some refactoring around built-in templates now that built-in templates are becoming a thing.
I also really want to redo how I manage the documentation site, because it’s getting kind of untenable at this point.
Anyway, really soon I’ll have properly-private content on my website again, and hopefully this will be enough of a feature for people to actually be interested in Publ!
Posted Thursday, March 7 at 12:05 AM (a year ago)
So, I just released v0.2.0 of Pushl. It was a pretty big change, in that I pretty much rewrote all the networking stuff, and fixed some pretty ridiculous bugs with the caching implementation as well.
The main thing is now it’s using async I/O instead of thread-per-connection, so it’s way more efficient and also times out correctly.
And oh gosh, I had so many tiny but critical errors in the way caching was implemented – no wonder it kept on acting as if there was no cached state. Yeesh.
Anyway, I’ll let this run on my site for a few days and if I like what I see I’ll upgrade it to beta status on PyPI.
Posted Wednesday, February 20 at 3:42 PM (a year ago)
For those folks who want to import their content from Movable Type over to Publ, I’ve finally gotten around to writing an importer. Currently it only attempts to convert entry content and category metadata, and only using SQLite-formatted database dumps.
README.md for the (incredibly rough) usage instructions.
Eventually I want to try to automatically convert templates from MT’s scripting language to Jinja-Publ templates, although there’s a bunch of stuff that’s going to be difficult to port across and a lot of stuff is just plain not feasible to even try, so don’t expect that to become a major thing any time soon.
Posted Wednesday, November 28 at 1:18 AM (a year ago)
I just released Pushl v0.1.3, which adds some minor performance optimizations and a bug fix.
Originally I was hoping to have a major performance optimization, in the form of having rewritten Pushl from thread-per-connection to async operation, but unfortunately I ran into a bunch of problems with it. Mostly that I was running into a “too many open files” error and I couldn’t figure out what was causing a descriptor leak. I have the work-in-progress branch online if anyone wants to take a look at it.
Anyway, the reason I went down this route is because I added WebSub subscriber support to my fork of Feed-On-Feeds, which makes it so that WebSub-enabled RSS and Atom feeds will push their updates to your reader instead of having to wait for a polling interval.
You can read more about some of my other thoughts on a blog entry that quickly devolves into a rant, if you’re so inclined.