Publ: Development Blog

Entries tagged discussion, performance or import

Publ v0.5.14 released!

Posted Tuesday, February 4 at 5:40 PM (2 weeks ago)

Today I released v0.5.14 of Publ, which has a bunch of improvements:

  • Fixed a bug in card retrieval when there’s no summary
  • Admin panel works again
  • Markdown entry headings now get individual permalinks (the presentation of which can be templated)
  • Markdown entry headings can be extracted into an outline to be used for a table of contents
  • Lots of performance improvements around ToC and footnote extraction, and template API functions in general

v0.5.12 released, and lots of documentation fixes

Posted Tuesday, December 31 at 12:02 AM (2 months ago)

Release notes

Today I got a fire lit under me and decided to do a bunch of bug fixing and general performance improvements.

Changes since v0.5.11:

  • Fixed a micro-optimization which was causing some pretty bad cache problems (I really should write a blog entry about this but tl;dr micro-optimizations are usually bugs in disguise)
  • Fixed an issue which was causing the page render cache to not actually activate most of the time (you know there’s going to be a ramble about this below…)
  • Fixed a bunch of spurious log meessages about nested transactions
  • Refactored the way that markup=False works, making it available from all Markdown/HTML contexts
  • Changed no_smartquotes=True to smartquotes=False (no_smartquotes is retained for template compatibility) (although I missed this on entry.title; I’ve already committed a fix for the next version)
  • Improve the way that the page render cache interacts with templates
  • Fixed an issue where changing a template might cause issues to occur until the cache expires

Documentation improvements

Authl v0.2.0, now in beta status!

Posted Monday, August 19 at 1:49 AM (6 months ago)

I’ve released Authl v0.2.0. Changes since v0.1.8:

  • Added support for Twitter
  • Big ol' refactor to support Twitter (see the fuller discussion below the cut!)
  • Released to beta!

And changes from v0.1.7 to v0.1.8 (which I didn’t bother to post an announcement about):

  • Fixed an incredibly minor security issue in the Mastodon client (the client_secret was leaking but in the context of Mastodon that couldn’t really be used for anything anyway)
  • Centralize/refactor the login token management, allowing for future flexibility in the service stack
  • Make callback IDs protocol-stable, which helps with some stricter services (e.g. Twitter)

Auth is working nicely

Posted Monday, July 8 at 11:56 AM (7 months ago)

I’ve released Authl 0.1.1, which adds support for Mastodon authentication. And the Publ test suite now is up-to-date with that as well.

There’s a few things I want to do on Publ before I release a version for use on my own website, the big one being the ability to provide a better login page, and some refactoring around built-in templates now that built-in templates are becoming a thing.

I also really want to redo how I manage the documentation site, because it’s getting kind of untenable at this point.

Anyway, really soon I’ll have properly-private content on my website again, and hopefully this will be enough of a feature for people to actually be interested in Publ!

Pushl v0.2.0 released

Posted Thursday, March 7 at 12:05 AM (a year ago)

So, I just released v0.2.0 of Pushl. It was a pretty big change, in that I pretty much rewrote all the networking stuff, and fixed some pretty ridiculous bugs with the caching implementation as well.

The main thing is now it’s using async I/O instead of thread-per-connection, so it’s way more efficient and also times out correctly.

And oh gosh, I had so many tiny but critical errors in the way caching was implemented – no wonder it kept on acting as if there was no cached state. Yeesh.

Anyway, I’ll let this run on my site for a few days and if I like what I see I’ll upgrade it to beta status on PyPI.

An early-alpha Movable Type importer

Posted Wednesday, February 20 at 3:42 PM (a year ago)

For those folks who want to import their content from Movable Type over to Publ, I’ve finally gotten around to writing an importer. Currently it only attempts to convert entry content and category metadata, and only using SQLite-formatted database dumps.

See its README.md for the (incredibly rough) usage instructions.

Eventually I want to try to automatically convert templates from MT’s scripting language to Jinja-Publ templates, although there’s a bunch of stuff that’s going to be difficult to port across and a lot of stuff is just plain not feasible to even try, so don’t expect that to become a major thing any time soon.

Goodbye peewee, hello PonyORM

Posted Wednesday, September 19 at 2:27 AM (a year ago)

For a number of reasons, I have replaced the backing ORM. Previously I was using peewee, but now I’m using PonyORM. The primary reason for this is purely ideological; I do not want to use software which is maintained by someone with a track record of toxic behavior. peewee’s maintainer responds to issues and feature requests with shouting and dismissive snark; PonyORM’s maintainer responds with helpfulness and grace. I am a strong proponent of the latter.

PonyORM’s API is also significantly more Pythonic, and rather than abusing operator overloads for clever query building purposes, it abuses Python’s AST functionality to parse actual Python expressions into SQL queries. Seriously, look at this explanation of it and tell me that isn’t just amazing.