Publ: Development Blog

Entries tagged release

Lots of bug fixes, and more image features (v0.1.17)

Posted Tuesday, May 22 at 5:00 PM (2 years ago)

Oh, it’s been a little while since I’ve posted an update, hasn’t it? That’s because I’ve been very busy building the templates for my personal site! In doing so I’ve greatly improved the way that view refinements worked, fixed a few silly bugs with image search paths on templates, and also added an easier way to specify background images in CSS, via the image().get_css_background() method.

I’m really excited to be able to bring my first fully-realized Publ site to the public; I hope it gets other people interested in what a flexible publishing system allows them to do!

Template overrides and breadcrumbs

Posted Saturday, May 19 at 12:00 AM (2 years ago)

Today I added two new useful features:

I also implemented the better date sort mentioned previously.

These things are already making my new personal site look way better and easier to use! I feel like I’m almost ready to flip the switch.

Oh, and I also improved the getting started guide, including adding basic setup instructions for Linux and Windows. Not that I’ve gotten Publ to run on Windows, yet, but documenting how to get the environment set up is the first step, right?

Asynchronous workers

Posted Tuesday, May 15 at 5:21 PM (2 years ago)

Today I got two major bits of functionality in: Publ will now asynchronously scan the content index (which speeds up startup and fixes some annoying race conditions with entry creation), and it also asynchronously generates image renditions (which makes pages not take forever to load on first render, and will also use multiple CPU cores if available). Seems to work well so far.

I was running into scaling problems with beesbuzz.biz (what with there being a couple thousand entries and some pages with hundreds of images on it) and this keeps it feeling pretty good.

So, this brings us up to version 0.1.14.

v0.1.13 released

Posted Sunday, May 13 at 11:14 PM (2 years ago)

Two major updates for v0.1.13:

  • Rewrote the pagination logic to actually work across category-recursive views, and to support pagination where the sort order isn’t necessarily the same between renders
  • Refactored images so that the template image() function has access to the tag writer

These changes were made as part of migrating beesbuzz.biz over to Publ, which I’ve made a lot of progress on now. It’s pretty nice getting my overall design proven out, and to shake out all the little bugs and misfeatures.

Hopefully soon I’ll have Publ in a state where I feel comfortable releasing it as beta.

v0.1.12 changes

Posted Saturday, May 12 at 12:35 PM (2 years ago)

I just released v0.1.12 which adds a couple of quick, minor-ish fixes to Unicode handling; in particular:

  • UTF-8-containing headers no longer get MIME-mangled on first import
  • I finally made the automatic slug text way better by switching to awesome-slugify

So, now it’s no longer US-English-centric, at least. Right now it just uses the defaults; at some point I’ll want to make it so that you can configure a site’s or entry’s language locale so that things work better on that end too.

Now with ∞% more OpenGraph support

Posted Thursday, May 10 at 7:06 PM (2 years ago)

I have now implemented the basic OpenGraph API to Publ, so now a template can generate an OpenGraph card with entry.card. So in theory when this entry gets autoposted to Twitter, this first paragraph should appear, as should the below image:

rawr.jpg

Anyway that’s what’s new in v0.1.11 (as well as a bunch of internal refactoring to support this addition).

Even more updates, v0.1.10 released

Posted Wednesday, May 9 at 11:29 PM (2 years ago)

If you are reading this, it means that Publ v0.1.10 is out. This release is mostly about a few cleanups, such as:

  • No longer nests a <div> for an image gallery inside of a containing <p> (which both fixes an HTML validation error and makes styling more controllable)
  • Cleans up error handling somewhat
  • Also cleans up a bunch of code for property caching

But there’s also a new feature, namely view.range, which you can read about over in the API docs.

I am also making significant progress in porting my main website over to Publ and hopefully I’ll have something to show for it soon. (And I promise it looks way nicer than this site!)