Publ: Development Blog

Entries tagged webmention or process

Tests removed from main site

Posted Sunday, March 3 at 4:29 PM (6 months ago)

I finally got my first contribution to Publ, which is really great, but it led to me finally realizing that putting the smoke tests for the software in the main site wasn’t so great. So the tests have been moved into the library itself, so they’re only really visible to people who are actually working on the code for Publ itself.

Eventually I’ll make a “features” section that demonstrates the features of Publ instead, since some of the tests were used (clumsily) for that purpose.

While I’m here, I figured I’d mention that the day job’s website is now running on Publ. Woo.

Embedding webmention.io pings on your site

Posted Thursday, December 20 at 11:14 PM (9 months ago)

Are you using webmention.io as your webmention endpoint? Want to get your incoming webmentions displayed on your website?

Well you’re in luck, I wrote a simple-ish script for that. (You’ll probably also want to see the accompanying stylesheet too.) And it doesn’t even require that you use Publ – it should work with any CMS, static or dynamic. The only requirement is that you use either webmention.io or something that has a similar enough retrieval API.

I wrote more about it on my blog, where you can also see it in use. For now, I’m just going to use the sample site repository to manage it (and issues against it).

It’s MIT-licensed, so feel free to use it wherever and however you want and to modify it for your needs. I might improve it down the road but for now it’s mostly just a quick itch-scratching hack that does things the way I want it to.

Some thoughts on WebMention

Posted Saturday, September 29 at 9:00 PM (a year ago)

So, for the last couple of days I’ve been playing with some of the IndieWeb concepts, in particular Webmention. Spurred on by a helpful thread with Kevin Marks, I took some time to actually do a rough implementation of outgoing Webmentions, and also did some of the work to set up the h-card and h-entry microformats on my main site.

As far as I can tell, it works great, but I’m also not going to actually merge this to master or push it to production. Read on to see why!