Posted Monday, January 14 at 9:28 PM (9 months ago)
I ended up doing some more work on Pushl and have now released v0.1.7. The major changes:
- Did a bunch of refactoring to make the code a little cleaner and handle configuration more appropriately
- Added a configurable timeout for connections (which now defaults to 15)
- Added a
--version option on the command line arguments
Also, some suggested usage ideas below the cut!
Posted Sunday, January 13 at 8:48 PM (9 months ago)
It’s been a while since I’ve updated Pushl but today I released v0.1.6. It includes the following fixes:
- Now it supports Pingback as well as Webmention
- Improved the threading defaults and connection pooling
- Also checks entries for updates even if the feed didn’t change (in case something changed in the more text or page metadata or whatever)
Anyway, it should just be a
pip install --upgrade pushl (or
pipenv update) away.
Posted Saturday, December 22 at 1:35 AM (10 months ago)
While I’m fixing random stuff in Publ, I figured I’d finally fix some problems with Pushl too. Nothing major here, just:
- Stability: Fixed a bug where feeds that don’t declare links caused the worker to die before entries got processed
- Performance: Now we use a global connection pool (so connections can be reused)
- Fixed a minor correctness issue with archive feeds (which actually doesn’t make any difference in the real world but whatever)
Posted Thursday, December 20 at 11:14 PM (10 months ago)
Are you using webmention.io as your webmention endpoint? Want to get your incoming webmentions displayed on your website?
Well you’re in luck, I wrote a simple-ish script for that. (You’ll probably also want to see the accompanying stylesheet too.) And it doesn’t even require that you use Publ – it should work with any CMS, static or dynamic. The only requirement is that you use either webmention.io or something that has a similar enough retrieval API.
I wrote more about it on my blog, where you can also see it in use. For now, I’m just going to use the sample site repository to manage it (and issues against it).
It’s MIT-licensed, so feel free to use it wherever and however you want and to modify it for your needs. I might improve it down the road but for now it’s mostly just a quick itch-scratching hack that does things the way I want it to.
Posted Wednesday, November 28 at 1:18 AM (11 months ago)
I just released Pushl v0.1.3, which adds some minor performance optimizations and a bug fix.
Originally I was hoping to have a major performance optimization, in the form of having rewritten Pushl from thread-per-connection to async operation, but unfortunately I ran into a bunch of problems with it. Mostly that I was running into a “too many open files” error and I couldn’t figure out what was causing a descriptor leak. I have the work-in-progress branch online if anyone wants to take a look at it.
Anyway, the reason I went down this route is because I added WebSub subscriber support to my fork of Feed-On-Feeds, which makes it so that WebSub-enabled RSS and Atom feeds will push their updates to your reader instead of having to wait for a polling interval.
You can read more about some of my other thoughts on a blog entry that quickly devolves into a rant, if you’re so inclined.
Posted Wednesday, October 10 at 10:41 PM (a year ago)
I’ve gotten Pushl to the point that I’m confident in releasing it as a full alpha and having a cron job run it every 15 minutes. Whew.
I’ve also added some
h-entry markup to the Publ site templates so that hopefully the notifications appear at least somewhat reasonably elsewhere.
I really need to redo these site templates now that I have a better idea of how they go together. Also the quickstart guide could be a lot better.
Posted Monday, October 8 at 11:53 PM (a year ago)
I finally got around to releasing a very rough prototype of Pushl to pypi. It only sends out WebSub notifications for now (does anyone even use those?), but I’ll work on actually implementing WebMention soon.
Also, recently someone pointed out to me fed.brid.gy which makes it easy to turn a static site into an ActivityPub source. At some point I’ll experiment with setting up Publ for this; it looks like it’s just a matter of adding a couple of additional route rules to Publ, so that will probably go into an advanced configuration guide if I ever get around to making such a thing. (Or it could actually be added to Publ directly but there isn’t much of a reason for that, IMO.)
Posted Saturday, September 29 at 9:00 PM (a year ago)
So, for the last couple of days I’ve been playing with some of the IndieWeb concepts, in particular Webmention. Spurred on by a helpful thread with Kevin Marks, I took some time to actually do a rough implementation of outgoing Webmentions, and also did some of the work to set up the
h-entry microformats on my main site.
As far as I can tell, it works great, but I’m also not going to actually merge this to master or push it to production. Read on to see why!