Posted Monday, March 4 at 3:47 PM (10 months ago)
I’ve released Publ v0.3.19, which now finally has a tagging system, which is only one of the oldest issues that was still open.
Here’s a list of what’s been added or changed since 0.3.18:
I want to thank Karina Antonio for implementing image cropping.
Posted Wednesday, February 27 at 9:38 PM (11 months ago)
I’ve just released v0.3.18, with the following changes:
- Add date grouping properties to entry
- Add a
pages property to
- Provide the current
category object to the error handler
- Support linking to non-image/non-entry local files
- Added, then removed, some performance micro-optimizations that only caused problems
More details about the major changes below!
Update: I released a hotfix as 0.3.18.1 because there was a last-minute bug that snuck in while I was trying to silence a new pylint error. Oops.
Posted Saturday, December 15 at 1:08 AM (a year ago)
v0.3.11 is now released, with the following changes:
- A more complete fix for how to handle image sets and inline images with respect to paragraphs
- Better cleanup for spurious empty paragraphs
- Improved internal entry link handling
Detailed descriptions of the changes are below.
Posted Sunday, May 27 at 5:22 PM (2 years ago)
The amount of stuff I’m having to fix in Publ to support beesbuzz.biz is diminishing rapidly! Here’s what’s happened since 0.1.18:
- Improved the Path-Alias redirection logic; now it will do a
301 Permanently Moved for inbound
Path-Aliased requests, and if a
Path-Alias points to an entry with a
Redirect-To it will redirect directly to that URL instead (and it will be a 302, same as the old
- Pagination can now be weekly; you can use
entry.archive(paging='week'), and a
?date= view parameter ending in
_w will provide a weekly view instead.
- Better default formatting for
view.range, and an addition of a
week format parameter there
Posted Friday, May 25 at 9:42 PM (2 years ago)
One of the overarching reasons I decided to build Publ the way I did was in order to take advantage of Dreamhost’s support for Passenger WSGI. I was expecting that to be the primary means of hosting my main site (which is way too big for a Heroku instance) and given how smoothly things were working with this site on Dreamhost I figured it wouldn’t be a big deal.
However, there was a huge monkey wrench thrown into things when I switched my site’s configuration over to Passenger; despite all of my configuration being exactly the same between publ.beesbuzz.biz and beesbuzz.biz, the rendition cache on beesbuzz.biz was getting its permissions set wrong, and there was some rather weird behavior with how it was making the temporary files to begin with.
In investigating this I attempted to upgrade my packages on publ.beesbuzz.biz, and all h*ck broke loose.
Posted Friday, May 18 at 12:00 PM (2 years ago)
There’s an old joke in programming, that the two hardest things to do are naming things, cache invalidation, and off-by-one errors. But this doesn’t pay sufficient respect to one of the other hardest things, namely handling date and time.
Posted Tuesday, May 8 at 12:00 AM (2 years ago)
I’ve had people ask me why I’m not building Publ using PHP. While much
has been written on this subject from
a standpoint of what’s wrong with the language (and with which I agree quite a lot!), that isn’t, to me, the core of the problem with PHP on the web.
So, I want to talk a bit about some of the more fundamental issues with PHP, which actually goes back well before PHP even existed and is intractibly linked with
the way PHP applications themselves are installed and run.
(I will be glossing over a lot of details here.)